BULLS ISLAND FERRY &
THE SOLAR ECLIPSE
What to Know & How to Prepare
Coastal Expeditions is so excited to be a part of your trip to Bull Island for the Total Solar Eclipse on August 21st, 2017! Due to the astronomical number of individuals traveling to Charleston for this incredible day we have a few reminders for everyone. We want this day to go as smoothly as possible, so please come prepared!
- There is a good chance that cell phone service will be down on the day of the eclipse.
We strongly recommend printing your directions to the landing ahead of time.
- Please print a copy of your confirmation email to show the parking staff as well as the ferry crew.
- Your card has not yet been charged.
Please bring a form a payment with you on the day of the eclipse. We accept credit, debit, cash, and checks.
- All cancellations made after August 10th are non-refundable.
All excursions for this day are completely sold out and we have a wait list of over 250 people who would gladly take your seat. If your plans have changed and you can no longer make it you must inform us by August 10th.
- Please car pool
All ferry passengers will be asked to park in a specific parking lot reserved for Coastal Expeditions however space is limited. Look for a red sign and parking attendants on the left as you come into the parking area for Garris Landing.
- Arrive early
Due to the expectation of over 1 million people traveling to Charleston (and Cape Romain specifically) we ask that you arrive at Garris Landing well before the scheduled departure time. The gates to Garris Landing will open at 6am and that is what time our staff will arrive. We highly suggest that you do the same. We understand that in any other circumstance this would be an unreasonable request. No one knows what to expect and gridlock on Hwy 17 and the roads leading to Garris Landing is a very high possibility that day.
- The boat will leave at its scheduled departure time
- No bikes
Due to turnaround times and space on the boat bikes are not permitted on this day.
- Be prepared
Please keep in mind that there is no place to purchase food or water at the landing or on the island. This is going to be a very long day for everyone. Plan to bring enough food and water for 12 hours. You will also want a change of clothing, comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, bug spray and a lightweight backpack to bring on the island. Do not plan to bring any more than you are comfortable carrying on the ferry. All passengers are responsible for carrying their items with them on and off the island.
- We will be selling Solar Eclipse glasses on board for $3 each. They have been optometrist approved for safe viewing of the eclipse.
- Respect the refuge and its inhabitants. Please treat this wildlife refuge with full reverence and make as little of an impact as possible on the beaches and dunes. Do not disturb turtle nests, resting birds or untrammeled areas. Pick up all of your trash and leave the beach as you found it. This is a special opportunity to visit the Bulls Island during a one-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.
The ferry departs from Garris Landing. The official address is 498 Bulls Island Rd, Awendaw, SC.
If you have any questions about your trip please call our office at 843-884-7684 and ask to speak with Kelsey.